Listen to "Song for You" and taste the musical genius of the late Donny Hathaway - he delivers a strong, understated reading of Leon Russell's song. He blends deliciously with Roberta Flack on "Where Is the Love," and on a poignant rendition of "You've Got a Friend"; their chemistry is breathtaking. Someday We'll Be Free" has an inspiring message that is bogged down by a meandering tempo - the hook is compelling but isn't repeated enough.
Donny Hathaway is the eponymous second studio album by American soul artist Donny Hathaway, released on April 2, 1971 on Atco. The majority of songs featured on the collection were covers of pop, gospel and soul songs that were released around the same time. The most prominent of the covers were Hathaway's rendition of Leon Russell's "A Song for You" and a gospel-inflected cover of Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Giving Up", written by Van McCoy.
Complete your Donny Hathaway collection. The cover and label incorrectly show the time for This Christmas as 3:47 when it is actually only 3:15. The longer version is only on the promo single.
Donny Edward Hathaway (October 1, 1945 – January 13, 1979) was an American soul singer, keyboardist, songwriter, and arranger. Hathaway signed with Atlantic Records in 1969 and with his first single for the Atco label, "The Ghetto", in early 1970, Rolling Stone magazine "marked him as a major new force in soul music
Features Song Lyrics for Donny Hathaway's The Best of Donny Hathaway album. You Were Meant for Me Lyrics. Donny Hathaway Lyrics provided by SongLyrics.
Today we’re highlighting Donny Hathaway, a soul superstar that we’re so lucky to have had in the Atlantic family for decades. d as the foundation of American soul music and he has influenced everyone from John Legend to Amy Winehouse to Stevie Wonder and beyond. Additionally, Donny was honored posthumously with the 2019 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
Revenge of the Dreamers III. 81. The Soft Cavalry.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||–Donny Hathaway||You Were Meant For Me
Producer – Donny HathawayProducer [Supervision] – Arif MardinWritten-By – William Peterkin
|A2||–Donny Hathaway||A Song For You
Producer – Arif Mardin, Jerry WexlerWritten-By – Leon Russell
|A3||–Donny Hathaway And Roberta Flack||You've Got A Friend
Producer – Arif Mardin, Joel DornWritten-By – Carole King
|A4||–Donny Hathaway||Someday We'll All Be Free
Producer – Arif MardinWritten-By – Donny Hathaway, Edward Howard
|A5||–Donny Hathaway||Giving Up
Producer – Arif Mardin, Jerry WexlerWritten-By – Van McCoy
|B1||–Donny Hathaway And Roberta Flack||Where Is The Love
Producer – Arif Mardin, Joel DornWritten-By – Ralph MacDonald, William Salter
|B2||–Donny Hathaway||The Ghetto
Producer – Arif MardinWritten-By – Donny Hathaway, Leroy Hutson
|B3||–Donny Hathaway||Valdez In The Country
Producer – Arif MardinWritten-By – Donny Hathaway
|B4||–Donny Hathaway||This Christmas
Producer – Donny HathawayWritten-By – Donny Hathaway, Nadine McKinnor
- Record Company – Warner Communications
- Copyright (c) – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Distributed By – WEA Records Ltd.
- Printed By – Gothic Press Ltd.
- Made By – Gothic Press Ltd.
- Arranged By [All Strings And Horns] – Arif Mardin (tracks: A2, A3, B1), Donny Hathaway (tracks: A1, A4, A5, B2 to B4)
- Artwork By [Album Cover Design] – Sandi Young
- Artwork By [Illustration] – Norman Green
- Bass – Chuck Rainey, Derek Graves*, Steve Novosel, Willie Weeks
- Drums – Al Jackson*, Bernard Purdie, Billy Cobham, Billy Johnson, Fred White, Morris Jennings, Ray Lucas
- Engineer [Recording] – Barry Radmanbarry*, Dickson Van Winkle*, Gene Paul, James Gallagher*, Jimmy Douglass, Joe Ferla, Lew Hahn, Malcolm Addey, Ray Thompson
- Guitar – Cornell Dupree, David Spinozza, Eric Gale, Herb Smith, Keith Loving, Mike Howard
- Guitar, Bass – Phil Upchurch
- Lacquer Cut By – Allen Landau
- Lead Vocals, Electric Piano, Piano – Donny Hathaway
- Percussion – Earl Derouen*, Jack Jennings, Leonard Gibbs*, Ralph MacDonald
- Woodwind, Saxophone – David Sanborn, Joe Gentle, King Curtis
Notes© 1978 Atlantic Recording Corp.
Recording Studios: Atlantic Studios, A&R Studios, Sigma Sound Studios, Sonart/DB Studios and Wally Heider remote unit-live at the Troubadour
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side A label): K 50525 A*
- Matrix / Runout (Side B label): K 50525 B*
- Matrix / Runout (Side A runout etched): W-3 KD K 50525 - A₁ ALLEN
- Matrix / Runout (Side B runout etched): W-3 K 50525 - B₁ E.B. ALLEN
|SD 38-107||Donny Hathaway||The Best Of Donny Hathaway (LP, Comp, MO )||ATCO Records||SD 38-107||US||1978|
|SD 38-107||Donny Hathaway||The Best Of Donny Hathaway (LP, Comp, PR )||ATCO Records||SD 38-107||US||1978|
|W 50525||Donny Hathaway||The Best Of Donny Hathaway (LP, Comp)||Atlantic||W 50525||Italy||1978|
|FRM-38107||Donny Hathaway||The Best Of Donny Hathaway (LP, Comp, RE)||Friday Music||FRM-38107||US||2014|
|SD 38-107||Donny Hathaway||The Best Of Donny Hathaway (LP, Comp, RE, SP )||ATCO Records||SD 38-107||US||Unknown|